Friday, April 28, 2017

Yankee Doodle Star Quilt with Fort Worth Fabric Studio



I just LOVE the Yankee Doodle Friday Bundle Batch from Fort Worth Fabric Studio. I have been wanting a 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day Quilt and this bundle is perfect!!! This Star Quilt Tutorial is my favorite as it uses the entire 8 fat quarters plus one yard of background fabric to make the quilt top and scrappy binding for a lap size quilt!!!! Keep reading for the Star Quilt Tutorial.

Yankee Doodle Friday Bundle Batch

I just love all the red, white, and blue fabrics together!!! They are just perfect!!! 

Included Fabrics (fat quarter or half-yard options):
  1. Penny's Pets Bitty Daisies Red - Robert Kaufman
  2. Sunday Drive In the Meadow Blue - Moda
  3. Sevenberry Classiques Mini Red Stars - Robert Kaufman
  4. Toscana Cardinal - Northcott
  5. Grunge Basics Navy - Moda
  6. Hints of Prints Lake Dots - Robert Kaufman
  7. Madison Bombette Cherry - Anna Griffin
  8. Basic Brights Navy Gingham - Windham

Tutorial for Yankee Doodle Star Quilt (53" x 53")

Supplies
2. Toscana Picket Fence Northcott - 1 yard (1.5 yard if cutting oops) -This fabric has subtle tones & texture of Italian fresco. It is nearly white on white - a very very pale cream with white mottling).

Cutting -Be careful cutting as you will use almost the entire fat quarter. 














Star Points - 4 Fat Quarters  (cut from each fat quarter):
(1) 12" Square - cut on diagonal to make 2 triangles
(2) 4.5" x 11.5" Rectangles
(2) 2.5 x 18" Binding 

*Hint for cutting for fat quarters. Cut (1) 12" x 21" rectangle. Then subcut the (1) 12" square. This will leave you with (1) 9" x 12" rectangle- subcut into (2) 4.5" x 11.5"rectangles. 















Star Center - 4 Fat Quarters (cut from each fat quarter):
(1) 11.5" square
(2) 4.5" x 11.5" Rectangles
(2) 2.5 x 18" Binding 
















(4) 12" Squares- cut on diagonal to make 2 triangles from each square (total of 8)
(4) 11.5" Squares
















Corner 4-patches
(16) 2.5" squares (I cut these from my binding strips above)
















Sewing

1. Sew (1) Star Point Triangle to (1) Background triangle to create a 11.5" half-square triangle. Make 8 total.















2. Sew (4) four-patch blocks to create corner blocks

3. Layout squares as shown below and sew together.


4. Quilt. I chose to stipple my quilt. I "might" be addicted to stippling....I just can't stop! :)

5.  Bind. I just love a scrappy binding! Plus the backing matches perfectly!!!



A bit more about the perfect backing for my quilt! I just love using extra wide backing fabric as no piecing is required plus they are a better value too! Swirly red and blue stars...perfection!!!


I just love this Yankee Doodle Star Quilt! It's one of my favorites!!! Here are a few more pictures because I couldn't pick a favorite ;)




Thank you again to Fort Worth Fabric Studio for having me sew this quilt with this fabulous Yankee DoodleFat Quarter Bundle!!! Be sure to grab your bundle here before it sells out. Tag your projects on social media with #sewingwithfwfabricstudio and @fwfabricstudio and me @mellierc

Happy Friday!!!
Melanie

11 comments:

  1. Love this star quilt and the fabrics used. Beautiful!! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to use this tutorial to make a star spangled quilt! Almost time to start hanging the banners outside so a quilt for the inside will be superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt! Thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt. I will have to gather FQs to make this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cutie quilt. thank you for sharing your massive creativity skills

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! Love the star, love the red, white, & blue fabrics that were used!
    Thank You for sharing the pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the star quilt and the fabric bundle! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I am looking forward to making one. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so darling! I love the color palette and I especially love that print!

    Believe it, Atlantic Highlands NJ Maid Service website

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read them!