Monday, August 1, 2022

TUTORIAL: Vinyl Project Bag

Hi Friends!  Today I'm sharing a tutorial on making a Vinyl Project Bag on the Janome Blog and here too! I absolutely love Vinyl Project bags as they are perfect for storing sewing/quilting/cross stitch/ embroidery projects PLUS they are perfect for travel and for kiddos to store all of their treasures.  The vinyl front makes it easy to know what is inside your bag... plus no raw fabric seams!

I will be creating this project on my Janome M7 - which is SEW fabulous! I've been sewing on this machine for almost 3 years and I love how easy it is to use and it stitches beautifully.

Tutorial - Vinyl Project Bag 14.5" x 14.5"

Supplies


Cutting
  • Bag Front (1) 16" x 16"
  • Bag Back (1) 16" x 16"
  • Batting (1) 16" x 16" -  If I want my bag to have a bit more support I will use (2) layers of batting - this makes it similar to Soft n Stable, but I can use my batting scraps 
  • Vinyl (1) 14.5" x 14.5"
  • Zipper Fabric Bottom (1) 3" x 14.5"
  • Zipper Fabric Top (1) 2" x 14.5"
  • Handle (1) 4" x 9"
  • Binding (2) 2.5" x 40"WOF

Bag Assembly

1. Layer and adhere all 3 layers together. I prefer to use Odif 505 basting spray to hold my layers together.
  • Bag Front Fabric  - right side facing up (TOP)
  • Batting (MIDDLE)
  • Bag Back Fabric - right side facing down (BOTTOM)

2. Quilt as desired. I chose straight-line quilting 2" apart. I marked my quilting lines using a Hera Marker. I'm using the Janome 9mm AcuFeed Foot with Single Holder with stitch length 3.5.


3. TRIM quilted Bag Front/Batting/Bag Back to 14.5" x 14.5"

4.  Make Double Fold Binding  (Zipper Bottom Fabric 3" x 14.5")
  • Iron Fabric in half to create a crease line in center of fabric strip
  • Bring fabric edge to center crease line and press
  • Repeat with other side

5. Place vinyl into the double fold binding to enclose vinyl edge. Use wonder clips to hold vinyl inside.


6. Top stitch along fabric edge to secure to vinyl. I like to use the Zipper Foot attachment for the AcuFeed Foot with Single Foot Holder and stitch length 2.4. Screen shot below of Janome M7 screen 




7.  Place Vinyl with Double Fold Binding on top of the bottom of Zipper Tape. I like to use double-sided Wonder Tape to hold the zipper in place. 


8. Topstitch Vinyl with Double Fold Binding to Zipper Tape. 


9. Single Fold Binding with Fabric Zipper Top (2" x 14.5"). Iron fabric together in half (wrong sides together). Place folded crease on top of zipper. Make sure it is lined up with previously attached Vinyl Fabric Binding. Trim off excess zipper ends - be sure zipper pull is in middle of bag so you don't accidentally trim off zipper pull.


10.  TRIM bottom of vinyl of Vinyl Bag Front with zipper attached to 14.5" x 14.5".

11. Place Vinyl Bag Front on top of Quilted Bag Back. Use Wonder Clips to hold together. Sew together with a 1/8" seam allowance. (A small seam allowance is used so stitching line will be hidden in binding).



12. Bag Handle (Cut size 4" x 9". Finished size 1" x 9")
  • Iron Fabric in half to create a crease line in center of fabric strip
  • Bring fabric edge to center crease line and press
  • Repeat with other side
  • Fold closed so raw edges are hidden. Handle measures 1" x 9"

  • Top stitch both sides of bag handle.

13.  Sew bag handle to back side of Vinyl Project Bag.  Mine is attached 5.5" from bag sides. Oops - I forgot to take a picture of this step before I added binding. Attach your handle BEFORE binding as the binding will secure the handle and hide the raw edges.


14. Bind as desired. I prefer to completely machine bind my projects. Machine Binding Tutorial HERE




I hope you had fun making your Vinyl Project Bag! 

Be sure to follow me on Instagram @ABitofScrapStuff and on my A Bit of Scrap Stuff Blog for more sewing fun!

Melanie Call

Shop Fabric at Fat Quarter Shop

Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to make a vinyl project bag for the longest! Thanks so much for the tutorial, it doesn't seem to be above my skill level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I needed this to organize my materials for a class, so I made it. So happy😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this easy to follow pattern. I just made my 4th project bag to hold another lap quilt project. I use 3 fat quarters and use the scraps for other small projects. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed making this bag, also created a slightly smaller size. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read them!