Friday, March 10, 2017

Fruit Salad Pillow Mania with Fort Worth Fabric Friday Bundle Batch


I am super excited to share my Fruit Salad Pillow Mania Projects with the Fruit Salad Friday Bundle Batch with Fort Worth Fabric Studio.  

(In my best TV informercial voice) First I made the Shamrock pillow as I needed a March themed pillow for my couch :)...THEN I needed a Heart Pillow....Well I couldn't stop there because the bundle is called Fruit Salad so I got a bit crazy and mixed it all up into a Patchwork Pillow. Yes...I made all 3 pillows with backings with one FQ bundle (just a few scraps were left). Just look at the adorable bundle below...how could I not use up all the fabric????

There is usually one fabric that catches my eye and makes me need THAT bundle. This week it was  the Sweet Orchard Scallop Green Fabric  by Riley Blake...I just loved the tiny fruits on the scalloped doily. This bundle just makes me so happy! 

Are you ready to make your 3 Fruit Salad Mania Pillows??? 
Mini tutorial below.

Supplies:

1. Fruit Salad Fat Quarter Bundle
2. Double Fold Crochet Edge Bias Tape: Red Gingham Check by Vintage Door - 2 yards
3. 12" Lace Zippers (2)
4. 18" or larger zipper from stash
5. Scrap Batting
6. Pillow form 12"x 16" (2) and 18"x 18" (1) or 16"x16" pillow if you like a looser fit
7. Heat N Bond lite from stash
8. Template (approx 4" shamrock and hearts) -Click here

Shamrock Pillow 12"x 16"


1. Follow package directions for Heat N Bond. 
Make 3 Shamrocks (don't fuse to pillow front yet)
2. Cut (1) 13 x 17 pillow front background
3. Layer Pillow front on top, batting, optional fabric on bottom -will not be seen, but is easier to quilt (batting on bottom doesn't slide as easily when free motion quilting).
4. Quilt pillow top. I chose to free motion stippled loops. Then trim down to 12.5" x 16.5"
5. Position Shamrocks as desired and fuse
6. Stitch along edge of each Shamrock, if desired
7. Create Pillow Backing. I used the fabulous 12" Lace zippers for my pillow backing see below...

 8. Place wrong sides together and stitch 1/8" from edge around entire pillow. 

9 . Cut 2.5" binding strips and attach to pillow.

Heart Pillow 12" x 16"


Made exactly like Shamrock pillow except I used the adorable Double Fold Crochet Edge Bias Tape: Red Gingham Check by Vintage Door to finish my pillow and Hearts instead of Shamrocks :).

Don't you just love the Lace Zippers for the pillow backing...love love love them! They just add so much loveliness to the pillows! Grab them here. 



Patchwork Fruit Salad Pillow


I love being able to use up my ENTIRE bundle so I made this pillow based on how much fabric I had left :). This pillow finishes at 17" square....I used a 18"  pillow form as I like a full pillow!

1. Cut (49) 2.5" squares. I cut (7) 2.5" squares from 7 fabrics
2. Cut (4) 2" x 18" strips of border fabric. You will trim these to size
3. Sew the (49) 2.5" squares to together to make a 7 x 7 grid
4. Sew border strips to all 4 size and trim
5. Layer Pillow front on top, batting, optional fabric on bottom -will not be seen, but is easier to quilt (batting on bottom doesn't slide as easily when quilting).
6. Quilt pillow front as desired. I chose diagonal straight-line quilting 
7. Make pillow backing
8. Sew pillow together with favorite method

Time to love your 3 Fruit Salad pillows and be happy that you used almost the entire bundle!


Here is a bit of a close up of the fun notions that I used this week.

12 inch lace zippers! They are so lovely....I showed some of my local quilty friends these zippers and they went nuts! Fort Worth Fabric also has 8" too.  Click here to see all the sizes and colors available


I LOVE a gingham check bias binding plus this one has an adorable lace edge! I was so excited to be able to use this to bind my pillow! I need more as I think it will be perfect for finishing a dress for my daughter! Available here

Thank you again for reading my super LONG post today! I hope you decide to make some Fruit Salad Pillows too! Don't worry...if you aren't a pillow fan- you can always make them as mini quilts or table toppers.

Thank you again to Fort Worth Fabric Studio for having me create a project with this fabulous Fruit Salad Fat Quarter Bundle!!! Be sure to grab your bundle here. I would grab it quickly as last week's bundle sold out in a few hours! Tag your projects on social media with #sewingwithfwfabricstudio and @fwfabricstudio and me @mellierc

Have a great day !

Melanie


SaveSave

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Your pillows are so sweet and I love the Fruit Salad bundle!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read them!