I just love this Strawberry Sunshine Friday Bundle Batch from Fort Worth Fabric Studio. We always need a some sunshine in the form of beautiful fabric. When I saw the Strawberry Festival Berries Pink fabric (love those strawberries) and Small Flowers Red (such sweet flowers)...I just fell in love with this bundle! My daughter loves it too and requested a quilt for her big girl bed. She will get a matching pillow soon too :).
I decided to use Cluck Cluck Sew's Free Heart Pattern/Tutorial to create the hearts. Allison is sew generous by providing the pattern for free and sharing the measurements for many sizes of the hearts!
I wanted to enlarge the quilt and use more of the beautiful fabrics in the bundle so I added 10.5" squares by the hearts. I love how happy this quilt is and that I could make this 50.5" x 50.5" quilt with the Strawberry Sunshine Fat Quarter Bundle and 1 yard of backing fabric.
Supplies to make your Strawberry Sunshine Quilt
2. Background fabric -1 yard. I would recommend 1.25 yards in case of a cutting error and the extra can be used for scrappy binding. I used the adorable Strawberry Festival Starburst Red/Pink...plus it is on sale!
3. Binding - 0.5 yard. Or you can you use the extra FQ scraps to create a scrappy binding. I used fabric from my stash as I want to make a matching pillow with my scraps.
4. Did you know Fort Worth has Aurifil thread too???? I used Aurifil 50wt 2024 for piecing and the free motion quilting.
Time to start cutting
1. You will be making (12) 6" finished hearts using Cluck Cluck Sew's Heart Pattern.
2. Cut (13) 10.5" squares from your Strawberry Sunshine bundle. I suggest cutting these blocks first using the length of the fat quarter so you can make one 10.5" x 21" cut and sub cut into (2) 10.5" squares (don't worry if a tiny bit of the selvage is on the edge of your block as that should end up in the 0.25" seam).
3. Cut from background fabric (same background fabric as you used in the heart as this will be the border around the heart block)
(24) 2.5" x 10.5" rectangles
(24) 2.5" x 6.5" rectangles
Time to start sewing
1. Sew hearts together using Cluck Cluck Sew's tutorial. Click here. She even shows you how to attach the border strips around the heart. Just make sure to use the measurements I gave for the borders as you will want the block to be 10.5" square unfinished.
|Heart finishes at 6" square. Block with borders is unfinished at 10.5" square|
3. Finish quilt: Add batting and backing - then quilt as desired. I chose to free motion quilt a stipple pattern. I love how it crinkles so nicely when washed!
4. Bind quilt. You should have enough left over fabric from your fat quarter bundle and background (if you chose 1.25 yards) to make a scrappy binding. Even though, I love a scrappy binding- I decided to save my scraps to make a matching heart pillow.
Thank you again for stopping by my blog! Please let me know if you have any questions!
Be sure to grab your bundle here before Strawberry Sunshine disappears behind the clouds!
I'll be back next Friday with another project with Fort Worth Fabric Studio....hint....think snow!
Tag your projects on social media with #sewingwithfwfabricstudio and @fwfabricstudio and me @mellierc
Most importantly --- Be sure to thank a Veteran today for their sacrifice and love for our country! Happy Veteran's Day!!!