Friday, October 21, 2016

Pumpkin Spice Maple Leaf Pillow or Mini Quilt with Fort Worth Fabric Studio



I'm so excited to share my Pumpkin Spice Maple Leaf pillow with you! I love the Friday Batch Bundle- Pumpkin Spice from Fort Worth Fabric Studio....it is the perfect autumn bundle!  Such pretty browns and creams! I love the pumpkins and fall words fabric and didn't want to cut it up so I saved it for my backing. Check out the Pumpkin Spice bundle here.



Below I have a mini tutorial for you to make your own Pumpkin Spice Maple Leaf Project!  I love being able to create a full project with just the fat quarter bundle and a bit of scrap batting.




Below is a mini tutorial to make your own 9" finished Maple Leaf blocks that you can use to create a 20.5" square mini quilt or pillow or table topper or all three ;) I like to make a zippered closure or envelope backing on my mini quilts so I can use it as pillow or mini quilt or a table topper! I like the options :) 

Supplies:
1. Pumpkin Spice Bundle -Fat Quarter size. This will be enough for top, backing, and binding
2. Batting from stash
3. Zipper optional-for zippered pillow 

Maple Leaf Block  - 9.5" unfinished or 9"finished

Cutting for one block 
(Be sure to cut the fabric so that you can cut (4) 1.5"x 21" border strips later)

Background fabric
(2) 4" squares
(2) 3" squares
(1) 3.5" square

Leaf fabric
(2) 4" squares
(4) 3.5" squares


Sewing

A. Half-Square Triangles 
1. Place one background fabric 4" square on top of leaf fabric 4" square with right sides together.
2. Draw line on back of fabric on the diagonal (from one corner to opposite corner)
3. Sew 1/4" away from drawn line

4. Cut on drawn diagonal line.  You should now have (2) half square triangles. 
5. Trim to 3.5" square
 6. Repeat steps above. You should now have (4) 3.5" half square triangles

B. Making Stem block
1. Draw diagonal line on back of (2) 3" squares of background fabric.
2. Place one 3" background fabric on top of 3.5" leaf fabric. (Line up corner and 2 edges)
3. Sew along drawn diagonal line (corner to corner)
4. Trim 1/4" away from sewn line and press.
5. Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 to complete stem
C. Assembling block
1. Arrange 3.5" squares and sew together as shown below. Maple Leaf block will be 9.5"unfinished.



To create pillow or table topper or mini quilt

1. Sew 4 Maple Leaf Blocks
2. Sew 4 Maple Leaf blocks together into a four patch. Finished size is 18.5" x 18.5"
3. Cut (4) 1.5" x 21" border strips
4. Sew (1) border strip to each edge (trim to size). Finished size is 20.5"x 20.5"

5. Quilt. 
I chose to quilt wavy lines as it reminded me of leaves blowing in the wind. 
- If making pillow: Only quilt top and batting together.  Then assemble pillow backing with favorite method (zipper or envelope).
- If making mini quilt/ table topper: Quilt all three layers together (top, batting, and backing)

Example of pillow backing below


6. Binding.
I cut (5) 2.5" x 21" strips from my left over fabric to make my binding.

7. Now enjoy your Pumpkin Spice Maple Leaf Project! Mine is pillow on our couch :) I like the idea of a table topper, but my kids are still young and messy at meal times ;) . 



Thank you again to Fort Worth Fabric Studio for having me create a project with this fabulous Pumpkin Spice bundle!!! Be sure to grab your bundle here. Tag your projects on social media with #sewingwithfwfabricstudio and @fwfabricstudio and me @mellierc

Have a great day !

Melanie













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read them!