Sunday, February 10, 2019

Island Cabins Pillow / Mini Quilt - Maxie Mail January Box


I love the January Maxie Mail Box!!!! The little 4" Log Cabin blocks are just so fun to sew and soooo CUTE! Maxie included the Creative Grids Log Cabin Ruler so you will have perfect blocks and seams...yay! 

Be sure to watch Maxie's Member's video for helpful hints and full tutorial on sewing your Island Cabins Project! I always watch the video first before I start. Then I re-watch the video again while I am sewing the project and pause it until I've reached the next step. I find Maxie's videos soooooo helpful!

Let's chat more about the January Maxie Mail Box-




I was so excited when I saw the gorgeous Art Gallery Fabrics and the Creative Grids Ruler as I love log cabin blocks! Don't worry if this your first time sewing log cabin blocks or assembling blocks on point --- Maxie makes it easy!

What's included:

  • 100% Pima Cotton Fabrics* by Art Gallery Fabrics for quilt top and binding, from designers Barij and Sew Caroline
  • Creative Grids© Log Cabin Trim Tool
  • Gutermann cotton thread, color 1040
  • Island Cabins Pattern. PLUS full video tutorial by Maxie!
  • Tea
Let's start sewing!

First - watch Maxie's video so you know how to use your Log Cabin Ruler. It's so easy AND accurate! Then start sewing those cute little 4" blocks!


PS - Those cute scissors are from my Maxie Mail Box in December! I love useful tools!


I thought it would be fun to sew my blocks in a different layout from the pattern - so flip your blocks around and see what layout you like best! You can totally make it yours! Tip - take a picture of each option with your phone and then decide on your favorite layout.


I chose straight-line quilting that looks like it bursts out of the center of each block - it's so fun and it matches this geometric project!


Sooooo.....you may have noticed that I omitted the outer border. I did this so my project could be a pillow and fit perfectly in a 18" pillow insert. I like the Hobbs Pillow forms - here or here.




Since I did NOT cut the border fabrics - I had just enough for a zippered backing...yay! I love the mustard color zipper. PS - I buy these zippers at Amazon and just trim to the size I need.


I'm thinking a scrappy log cabin quilt is up next - such a perfect scrappy stash buster! Yay!!!

Currently, my Island Cabins Pillow is happily on my living room couch with my other Maxie Mail Pillows! I love it!!!!


Don't worry - you can still order the January Box and sew yourself an Island Cabins Mini Quilt/Table topper/ Pillow. You will LOVE it!

I enjoy receiving my Maxie Mail Subscription Box each month! I love how she always teaches us a new technique and includes the supplies to make the project! It is truly a "class in a box". They are great for anyone who loves sewing and quilting! I love how I can take a class right in my home! Plus the projects are always useful and beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read them!