When Fort Worth Fabric Studio asked if I wanted to participate in Christmas Blitz with a fabulous Peppermint Holiday bundle....I said YES YES YES! I just love all of these red and white fabrics! Plus I needed a Christmas Quilt!!!
When I saw the Peppermint Holiday bundle, I knew a scrappy Simple Sixteen Quilt by Lindsey Weight would be perfect! This is one of my favorite patterns as it is easy to sew and shows the fabrics so well! I was able to use the entire 17 piece FQ bundle to piece the entire quilt top, plus binding (I did have to add one strip from my stash as I made a cutting oops) plus a matching pillow! See the tiny sneak of the perfect backing fabric.....
Ready to make your own Simple Sixteen Quilt with a Peppermint Holiday Bundle.
Finished size will depend on borders- 57" x 57" or 61" x 61"
Keep on Reading....
- Peppermint Holiday Fat Quarter Bundle - 17 FQ
- Aurifil White Thread
- 108 INCH WIDE QUILT BACKING - from the Spot On Collection from Robert Kaufman. - 2 yards
- Simple Sixteen Quilt pattern by Lindsey Weight -it is free at Fort Worth Fabric Studio
First Step: Separate your bundle into 9 red fabrics and 8 low-volume background fabrics
- From the 9 Red FQs you will need (9) 5" squares - I cut one from each FQ
- To have enough fabric...for quilt top and binding- this cutting method worked for me. From each FQ- cut first (1) 5" x 18" strip and (3) 3&5/8"x 18"- with careful cutting you can get (5) 3&5/8" squaresper strip. If not....no worries you can subcut the remaining 5" x 13" strip to get the extra squares if needed -you will need to subcut at least (1) 3&5/8” square so you can get 16 per Red FQ. Then cut (2) 2.5" x 18" strips for binding *Don’t cut binding strips until optional pillow pieces cut.
- If you wanted to make a matching pillow- then you will need cut 1 extra 5" square and 16 3&5/8" squares--- this means that you may not be able to cut the (2) binding strips from each FQ
- From the 8 low volume background fabrics... cut (18) 3"x 5" strips and (18) 3" x 10" strips
- To make the scrappy borders....cut (18) 3" x 16" strips and (16) 3"x3" squares for corners. I actually had enough fabric to make my borders 4" wide so I cut (18) 4" x 16" strips and (16) 4" x4" squares for corners- this made my quilt 61" x 61"finished size.
I love using a Wide Back fabric so then I don't have to piece it!!! I used 2 yards of Robert Kaufman 108" Spot On....which is a perfect match. Plus I had left over for my pillow backing too!
As you might have figured out....I LOVE using up my entire bundle so I made a matching 16" pillow. I made one block from the Sweet Sixteen Quilt pattern for my pillow. I had left over backing fabric so I used it to back my pillow too! I chose to quilt both the pillow and quilt with Aurifil White Thread.
I'm not ready for Christmas yet....but I do want to start using my quilt and pillow right now! I love how it is red and white....so it will work through Valentine's day :)
Thank you again to Fort Worth Fabric Studio for having be part of Christmas Blitz!!! Be sure to grab your Peppermint Holiday bundle here and backing fabric here before it sells out.
Please tag your projects on social media with #sewingwithfwfabricstudio #sweetsixteenquilt and @fwfabricstudio and me @mellierc so we can see them!
Here are some more pictures as I couldn't fit them all in my blog post :).