Friday, July 7, 2017

Wild Goose Chase Quilt with Fat Quarter Shop


Happy Friday!!! I just love this Classic and Vintage Wild Goose Chase Quilt with Fat Quarter Shop!!! I started out making one 17" block to make a pillow, but I LOVED it...so I thought I would make 9 blocks for a lap quilt instead.....since I had enough fabric to make 12 blocks...I upgraded my quilt to a twin size! I'm so glad I made the larger size as I have a feeling this will be a family favorite!

Don't worry about making 192 flying geese as Fat Quarter Shop shares an easy way to do this with perfect points using Flying Geese on a Roll (2x4" size).



Wild Goose Chase Quilt Pattern

Fat Quarter Shop is offering 2 version of the pattern - a free version with directions on making one block or a paid full quilt version with multiple sizes and fabric requirements.  I chose to make the Twin Size Version, which finishes at 63.5 x 80.5"

Tips on sewing this pattern (that worked for me)
  • Watch the video on how to use Triangles on a Roll - this is a must!
  • Cut the smaller squares at 3" (instead of 2&7/8" as pattern states)
  • I used a Sewline glue stick to attach first triangle instead of a pin. (I lived on the edge and didn't use any pins)
  • Sew with a scant 1/4" seam
  • Place fabric on the lines of the paper...don't match up the fabric edges (opposite of regular sewing)
  • Sew with a short stitch length to make it easier to rip paper off. I used 1.4 stitch length on my Brother Machine
  • Tear off paper BEFORE trimming the finished 4 flying geese unit. If you trim first then you may be more likely to have popped stitches on the edges.
My Fabric Choices

 I used my May Sew Sampler F8 bundle of Karen Lewis Blueberry Park by Robert Kaufman. With creative cutting you can get 1 block per F8.  I cut (1) 4.5" square, (3) 5.25" squares, and then (4) triangles (same size as you get when you cut the 5.25" square into 4 triangles). I just loved how this bright fabric shines against the Alison Glass low volume prints (from my stash) I used as my background fabric.


Ready to Make Your Own



Thank you again to Fat Quarter Shop for having me sew along with the Wild Goose Quilt Pattern!!!




If you want more to see more sewing fun - be sure to follow me on Instagram @mellierc

Have a great day!
Melanie

Fat Quarter Shop Quilting Fabric, Kits, Notions and Patterns

SaveSave

3 comments:

  1. I love how your quilt turned out - colorful and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Melanie! Bright and happy quilt with these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your tips! I love knowing that you can use fat eights for a twin size quilt. I have some lurking from my Sew Sampler Boxes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read them!