Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Tony Danza Mini Quilt - Maxie Mail Subscription Box


Foundation Paper Piecing....do you LOVE it??? I love the precise points and angles that foundation paper piecing provides, but would often get frustrated as I would sew my fabric incorrectly and unpicking those tiny stitches is no fun. So I was so excited see that my August Maxie Mail Box contained Tony Danza Mini Quilt by My Crowded Nest along with Maxie's awesome instructional video. This pattern and video has made me fall in love with foundation paper piecing! I can't wait for my next foundation paper piecing project!!! 

Let's chat more about the August Maxie Mail Box...

What Maxie included in the August Maxie Mail Subscription Box 




  • Gathered fabrics for your quilt top and binding, by Bonnie Christine for Art Gallery Fabrics. Sooooo gorgeous!!!!I love it!!!
  • Tony Danza Paper Piecing Templates - Soooo helpful!
  • Tony Danza Block Papers, printed on Carol Doak's foundation paper
  • 6" x 8" Olfa Cutting Mat
  • Add-a-Quarter Ruler for Paper Piecing
  • Thread
  • Tea
What you will learn:
  • Paper Piecing with templates, producing no-waste and easy fabric placement
  • Easy method for cutting multiple fabric layers with the supplied templates
  • Using the Add-a-Quarter Ruler
  • Precise Paper Piecing techniques

Plus an AWESOME "how to" videoI highly recommend watching the video completely before starting your project. Maxie and Sarah (My Crowded Nest) show you each step and makes it easy to understand!

After I was watched Maxie's video- I was so excited to try this paper pieced pattern. I made the first light section completely. The first block took a bit of time as I would start and stop the video for each step as I sewed along, but once I "got it". I was able to sew them so much faster by sewing all the blocks piece 1 then 2 then 3 then 4.



I love the sharp points...plus it was sooooo easy to sew...thanks to the templates! I have not used templates when paper piecing before and now I will only choose patterns that include them- why- it makes it sooooo easy to line up your fabric and no fabric waste (seriously tiny bit of trimming). I highly recommend Sarah's (My Crowded Nest) Tony Danza Mini Quilt Pattern.

The pattern has you sew 20 total blocks (20 light and 20 dark) to make a 16" x 20" Mini Quilt. Just look at the gorgeous Gathered Fabric by Bonnie Christine for Art Gallery Fabrics!!!




I like to make my mini quilts square---so they can also be a table topper or pillow. I used 16 blocks so my Mini Tony Danza finishes at 16" x16". 



I had to use the extra 4 blocks because I LOVE them! I debated on coasters or a pot holder, but then I knew I needed a matching mini. I used Art Gallery Denim and my 4 extra blocks to make a matching Mini that also measures 16" x 16".


For my Mini backing- I used zippers so my Mini Quilts can also be pillows. I love sewing multi-use projects :)


Using the Gutterman thread that Maxie provided in the box- I chose 3/4" straight-line quilting for both minis! I love the modern look of straight-line quilting!



I'm so glad I finally understand foundation paper piecing! Plus I have two projects that I just loooooove! 



I enjoy receiving my Maxie Mail Subscription Box each month! I love how she always teaches us a new technique and includes the supplies to make the project! It is truly a "class in a box". They are great for anyone who loves sewing and quilting! I love how I can take a class right in my home!

Subscribe here. Be sure to add -- Melanie -- as the referral code to save 10% off your first box

My August Unboxing Video

Previous Maxie Mail Subscription Blog Posts 
May 2018 - Cool Tools
April 2018 - Peppermint Rose Pillowcases
March 2018 - Strippy Aunt Josie Mini Quilt/Pillow

Have a great day and happy sewing! 

Be sure to follow me on Instagram @mellierc and here on my A Bit of Scrap Stuff Blog for more sewing fun!

Melanie






SaveSave

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Melanie! As always, your quilts/pillows are beautiful! I am so glad you shared a different option and I hope you'll inspire others to think about ways to make their projects to suit their own likes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read them!